See also: Opening Additional Ports on a VM
By default, every Orka VM is assigned a VNC, an SSH, and a Screen Sharing port during deployment. The assignment happens automatically.
However, having the port open might not be sufficient to reach your VM. For example, to be able to use SSH, you also need to have Remote Login enabled from the OS. Similarly, to be able to use Screen Sharing, you also need to have Screen Sharing enabled from the OS.
During deployment, Orka assigns a VNC, an SSH, and a Screen Sharing port automatically. Based on the total number of VMs deployed on a node, Orka picks a port from a range. These are the default ranges of ports per type:
- 5000-5014 for Apple Screen Sharing
- 5999-6013 for VNC
- 8822-8836 reserved for SSH
On every Orka environment, the following ports and port ranges are reserved:
- 22 (reserved for SSH)
- 80 (reserved for operational purposes)
- 443 (reserved for operational purposes)
- 5000-5014 (reserved for Apple Screen Sharing)
- 5999-6013 (reserved for VNC)
- 6443 (reserved for operational purposes)
- 8822-8836 (reserved for SSH)
During the creation or deployment of a VM
Change the values of the assigned ports.
Disable the SSH or the Screen Share ports.
After the deployment
Re-enable the VNC port.
Disable the VNC, SSH or Screen Share ports.
Change the values of the assigned VNC, SSH, or Screen Share ports.
Orka REST API
For a VM configuration
For an individual VM
When you disable VNC on the VM configuration level, all VMs deployed from the configuration will have their VNC disabled automatically.
Once the VM is deployed with disabled VNC, you cannot re-enable it for this specific VM.
Unless your VM is deployed from an SSH-enabled image or a Screen Sharing-enabled image, the respective connection method will be disabled for your VM.
To change the SSH or the Screen Sharing setting, you need to connect to the VM via VNC and modify its Sharing preferences.
- Connect to the VM via VNC.
- Launch System Preferences > Sharing.
- Manage SSH access to the VM with the Remote Login checkbox.
- Manage Screen Sharing access to the VM with the Screen Sharing checkbox.
- Restart the VM from the OS to persist the setting.
TIP: Don't want to do this every time?
Updated 22 days ago